The ATO is having a crackdown, it happens every year.
Uber drivers and property investors are on the watch list for 2017.
Full list below.
ELEVEN DODGY DEDUCTIONS
According to the ATO, these are the things you probably can’t claim:
1. Trips between home and work. Generally you can’t claim a deduction for these because they’re considered private travel.
2. Car expenses for transporting bulky tools or equipment, unless: you need to use your bulky tools to do your job; your employer requires you to transport this equipment; there is no secure area to store the equipment at work.
3. Car expenses that have been salary sacrificed.
4. Meal expenses for travel, unless you were required to work away from home overnight.
5. Private travel, so if you take a work trip that includes personal travel you can only claim the work-related portion.
6. Everyday clothes you bought to wear to work (eg, a suit or black pants), even if your employer requires you to wear them.
7. A flat rate for cleaning eligible work clothes without being able to show how you calculated the cost.
8. Higher education contributions charged through the HELP scheme.
9. Self-education expenses when the study doesn’t have a direct connection to your current employment — your future or dream jobs don’t count.
10. Private use of phone or internet expenses — only the work-related portion counts.
11. Upfront deductions for tools and equipment that cost more than $300. However, you can spread your deduction claim over a number of years. That’s called depreciation.
You may also like...
- It's that time of year when we try and get tax back but can we claim games? Games are on sale for the end of financial year, get all the details...The parent-company of XXXX beverages in Queensland has denied union claims its iconic Brisbane brewery will be shut down.Management from Japanese...