apple wing nominatenow

apple wing nominatenow

National News

NSW woman, 95, critical after blanket fire

A 95-year-old woman is fighting for life in hospital after her electric blanket caught fire at a rural home in the NSW South West Slopes, leaving her adult son with burns to his hands.

Emergency services were called to the property at Cunningar, near Young, about 7.30am on Tuesday where they found the elderly woman with serious burns to her face, chest, arms and fingers, a NSW Ambulance spokesman said.

She was transported by road to Murrumburrah-Harden Hospital along with her 59-year-old son who had burns to his hands and was suffering from smoke inhalation.

She remains there in a critical condition, while her son has been discharged, Murrumbidgee Local Health District confirmed on Tuesday afternoon.

The fire was contained to an electric blanket and a bed and was extinguished before rural crews arrived, a Fire & Rescue NSW spokesman said.

Police are now working to determine the fire's exact cause.

With a cold snap hitting much of the state, Fire & Rescue NSW is urging residents to keep fire safety in mind during the winter months after a house caught fire in the Hunter region on Sunday.

The occupants of the two-storey Hawks Nest property had emptied the ash from their fireplace into a wheelie bin for disposal, believing they were cool.

It sparked a fire that spread up an external wall and through a window, damaging the top floor.

© AAP 2016

You may also like...