Hobart’s first international flight since November hasn’t been able to escape delays currently plaguing airlines around the country.
The Air New Zealand flight was due to land in Hobart at 10:50 on Thursday but was 40 minutes late in departing from Auckland.
It hasn’t marred celebrations at Hobart Airport, with CEO Norris Carter welcoming the resumption of international flights to Hobart after the pandemic threw a spanner in the works.
“Following the Federal Government’s commitment to upgrade the Hobart Airport runway so it can accommodate larger planes, we think this is just the beginning of a very exciting chapter of international travel for Tasmania, where we will connect communities and help build Tasmania’s future,” he said.
“An economic study completed prior to the impact of COVID-19 found that international flights into Hobart, including from New Zealand, could increase tourism spending by up to $120 million per annum, creating an additional 600 direct jobs.”
Air New Zealand has previously revealed the twice-weekly Hobart to Auckland service was one of its most popular routes.
Border Force has also been busy gearing up for the resumption.
“We are excited to work with Hobart Airport to welcome back international travellers to Hobart Airport and I am proud of the tenacity and hard work of the whole ABF team,” said Commander Chris Holzheimer.
“Like frontline workers across many industries in Australia, ABF officers have had to adapt to a constantly changing environment in airports around the country.”