Collingwood's first ever AFL match in Tasmania has been abandoned after the state's first coronavirus case in 238 days sent hundreds of Launcestonians into isolation.
The highly anticipated Sunday fixture at UTAS Stadium was a sell out, despite the crowd being COVID-capped at 10,000.
Now disappointed fans will have their tickets refunded, with an empty MCG now to host the two clubs instead.
The Premier says proceeding with the game would be too risky given the heightened sense of concern around Northern Tasmania.
Peter Gutwein confirmed they'd be no financial disadvantage in Tasmania losing the clash.
"We had no AFL played in the state last year, so the state saved several million dollars as a result," he said.
"This year we've had additional games and that has cost us around the same as a game would have cost us last year so it's about a break even situation."
The decision was made hours before Victorian authorities announced a sixth lockdown there - which could have impacted the game regardless of Tasmania's COVID situation.
Meanwhile, long queues are expected at COVID testing sites across Launceston this morning, after news of the fresh case.
The 31-year-old was in hotel quarantine having travelled from Sydney via Melbourne without a border pass, but left two days later.
One of his close contacts on the Virgin flight is boarding student at Scotch Oakburn College.
It's meant all boarders there are isolating as well until they get a negative result.